I've got pretty good skin, especially for my age. So says the dermatologist, who claims it mostly comes from inheriting "elastic" skin, whatever that means. I've also been religious about using a moisturizer with sunscreen since my early teens.
Regardless of how old you are, or the health of your skin, it's important to take care of it every day. Having said that, I hate spending a lot of time on my beauty routine. Luckily, these five favorite skin care products only add a few extra minutes:
1. Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser. Back in my retail buying days, I got lots of insider tips from beauty product reps. One of them told me not to spend a ton of money on a cleanser, since it only stays on your face for seconds. Cetaphil leaves my skin feeling fresh and never dry, and a $6.00, 8 ounce bottle lasts forever.
2. Vitamin C Serum. This is a relatively new addition to my skin care routine, but I love it. Vitamin C does so many wonderful things for your face, from stimulating new collagen to reducing fine lines and wrinkles. Plus, it just feels good when you put it on, after cleansing and before moisturizing. Courtney at Intentionalish.com recently shared a DIY Vitamin C Serum recipe, which looks interesting, especially if you have more patience than I do.
3. L'Oreal Revitalift Triple Power Day/Night Moisturizer. "Beauty product rep" insider tip number two: Lancome and L'Oreal are made by the same company, and many of their products have identical ingredients. The only difference - the price. This lightweight cream helps firm and lift my skin, and I use it in the morning and before bed. The only drawback is that this moisturizer doesn't have sunscreen. Bonus product: Supergoop CC Cream, with an SPF 35. I use this as my foundation and it's perfect.
4. Kiehl's Midnight Recovery Eye. I use this cream at night after I've washed my face and applied moisturizer. This concentrate contains essential oils and botanicals to reduce puffiness and diminish fine lines and wrinkles around the sensitive eye area. I've been using it for over a year, and definitely see a reduction in fine lines.
5. Ren Clean Skincare 1 Minute Facial. Every three days, I use this facial to exfoliate and refresh my skin. I swear, it gives instant results!
My final insider tips: always include your neck when taking care of your face as it's one of the first areas to show aging. And try to wash your face every night, to remove makeup and dirt from the day. I shoot for at least five nights a week, and call it good. Most of the time I use cleansing towelettes - they easily get the job done.
Hopefully I'll make it to age 99 with my "elastic" skin still in good shape, just like Grandpa Ed. What is your favorite skin care product?